Marriott International, Inc., today released its 2022 Serve 360 Report presenting data from 2021 and demonstrating its Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) efforts toward the company’s 2025 Sustainability and Social Impact Goals. The Report can be accessed on the Serve 360 website.
In support of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), Marriott’s sustainability and social impact platform, Serve 360: Doing Good in Every Direction, guides the company’s commitment to make a positive and sustainable impact wherever it does business, delivering value for associates, customers, owners, the environment, and communities around the world. Launched in 2017, the company is celebrating five years of Serve 360’s impact.
“While the last few years have transformed our industry, the resilience of Marriott associates and their dedication to our core value to Serve Our World has not only put us on the path to recovery, but renewed our support to the communities and environments where we live and work,” said Anthony Capuano, Chief Executive Officer, Marriott International. “Even during times of great challenge, including war, increasing climate crises, and the unprecedented impact of the pandemic, I am proud of Marriott’s continued dedication to its sustainability and social impact journey and commitment to our many stakeholders.”
In addition to showcasing data on company diversity, sustainable operations, volunteerism, and other ESG activities, 2021 highlights include:
- Committed to set a science-based target and reach net-zero greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by no later than 2050.
- Announced an accelerated goal to achieve global gender parity in executive positions by 2023 – two years ahead of the original goal – and established a new goal to achieve 25 percent people of color in executive positions in the U.S. by 2025.
- Established the Marriott-Sorenson Center for Hospitality Leadership to help build a pipeline of diverse talent by inspiring Black students to enter the hospitality industry, along with The J. Willard and Alice S. Marriott Foundation and Howard University.
- Launched the next iteration of Marriott’s human trafficking awareness training, which uses real-life scenarios to support our 2025 goal to train 100% of on-property associates to recognize and respond to potential situations of human trafficking.
- Piloted Good Travel with Marriott Bonvoy to provide guests the opportunity to create a positive impact across communities in the Asia Pacific region through environmental protection, community engagement, and marine conservation, which expanded to nearly 100 properties in 2022.
The Report also includes a letter from Capuano, which provides an update on the company’s ESG developments taking place this year and plans for the future. Additional highlights include:
- Contributions to associates and their families affected by the war in Ukraine and support to humanitarian organizations providing on the ground relief, including over $3 million in hotel-level financial and in-kind support.
- Commitment of up to $50 million to support historically underrepresented groups who typically face barriers in owning and developing hotels in North America. This new program, “Marriott’s Bridging the Gap,” also supports our company’s goal of achieving 3,000 diverse-owned hotels by the end of 2025.
- Achievement of LEED Gold Core and Shell Certification for our new global corporate headquarters in Bethesda, MD, which includes a high-efficiency HVAC system, energy-efficient light fixtures with smart lighting controls, and more than 60 electric vehicle charging stations.
- Donation of Marriott’s updated human trafficking awareness training to the hospitality industry to help other hotel companies and workers recognize the signs of human trafficking.
More details about Marriott International’s ESG efforts and Serve 360 can be found at www.Marriott.com/Serve360.
Note on Forward-Looking Statements
This press release contains “forward-looking statements” within the meaning of federal securities laws, including statements regarding Marriott’s ESG targets, goals, commitments, expectations and objectives, and similar statements concerning possible future events or expectations that are not historical facts. We caution you that our actual future results, including the achievement of our targets, goals or commitments, could differ materially from our projected results as the result of changes in circumstances, assumptions not being realized, or other numerous evolving risks and uncertainties that we may not be able to accurately predict or assess. Such risks, uncertainties and other factors include the risk factors that we identify in our Securities and Exchange Commission filings, including our most recent Annual Report on Form 10-K or Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q. Any of these factors could cause actual results to differ materially from the expectations we express or imply in this press release. We make these statements as of the date of this press release, and we undertake no obligation to publicly update or revise these statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.